How To Germany’s privacy policy.


Spectrum International

Spectrum International

Mike Woodiwiss
Tel: +49(0)2432-80365

Everyone’s favourite subject – especially in Germany………..Health Insurance!

Spectrum International is an Insurance Broker registered with the German Chamber of Commerce and qualified in German and International Insurance.

We offer a range of insurance products from different Providers*. Health insurance has been a legal requirement for all residents of Germany (both German and foreign) since 2009. So, we focus primarily on this.

We are Bilingual — German and English

Spectrum can advise on and arrange:

  • German Public Health Insurance (GKV)
  • German Private HealthInsurance (PKV)
  • International Health Insurances which are approved by the EU and the German Financial Services Supervisory Authority /(Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht – BaFin).
  • Student Insurance and Travel Insurance – where appropriate.

There are many differences in the structure of the various insurances available. Nothing is perfect of course! What is available from one Insurance Provider may not be available from another. There are many factors to consider:

  • Appropriateness for each individual
  • Cost & Coverage
  • Performance of the Provider – Claims handling for example.
  • Spectrum takes all into consideration for each person insured

Our advice is free and without obligation. Prices, Terms and Conditions are those set by the insurers – Spectrum does not add any charges or fees.

Health insurance is a very important issue in everyone’s personal life. Health Insurance in Germany is subject to German legislation in respect to who may have what type of insurance – so not so much a personal choice, but a decision dictated by legislation. This can lead to much confusion when one person has one type and another person a different type – and they cannot both have the same.

A very important factor for Expatriates is residency status. There are a number of ”Travel Health Insurances” marketed in Germany on the internet and by various agencies. Travel Health insurance, however, most likely will not meet the regulatory standard required by the German authorities to obtain a residence permit. Anyone intending to live and work in Germany must register as a resident with the local authorities.

The belief that your ‘home country’ is always your place of Residence is not the case. It may be your Domicile – i.e. where you were born, or your parents were born, but your place of Residence is the place where you are currently living or applying to live – e.g. Germany. If you are intending to remain in Germany for more than 90 days and you are a non-EU citizen – which now includes British nationals – you are required to register as Resident and obtain a Residence Permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis) from the Ausländerbehörde.

Consulting a health insurance Broker offers a person the opportunity to explore a range of different insurance Providers as well as different coverage plans that meet the “residence permit” compliance conditions set by the German government.

* In addition to health insurance, Spectrum International offers other important German insurances such as: life assurance; household goods and property; pet; liability for individuals and businesses and other types of policies.