We are US citizens and are planning on traveling to Germany soon with an infant. Does our child need a passport?

Yes – all children, regardless of age, must have a passport to travel outside the United States. The minor, as well as BOTH parents (or guardians), must apply in person and submit proof of citizenship, a social security number along with other documentation and two passport photos.

The best source of information is the US State Department’s website on obtaining passports for minors. Be sure and read it carefully so that you have everything in order before applying. http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_834.html.